And just when I've lost my way
Or I've got too many choices
I hear voices
Sometimes I try to ignore 'em
But I thank God for 'em
'Cause they made me who I am
It’s a subject that many Christians have thought about and talked about. Most Christians are still trying to figure it out.
In the middle of troubles and times of decision we pray for guidance and assurance that the Holy Spirit will show us the way. We hope that God will tell us what to do. And so often God does show us and The Holy Spirit does speak to us. (John 6:63)
That’s when we scratch our heads and question what we heard. We say, “God is that really you? Holy Spirit is that you?… nah can’t be… it is probably my imagination or the enemy playing mind games.” (John 8:47)
Then we question ourselves. Do I really hear God? Can I tell the difference between the voice of the Holy Spirit and the enemy? Do I know the difference between the good voice and the bad voice? (Jeremiah 33:3)
Can you really hear and recognize the voice of God? Yes, you can.
Prove it to yourself by answering these examples.
The voice in your head said:
- “Do something nice and help the lady across the street.” – Voice of God or devil?
- “Yea it’s your last one and you really want it. But give it to someone in more need.” – Voice of God or devil?
- “Don’t be so judgmental about your friends.” – Voice of God or devil?
- “Next time tell your family how much you love them.” – Voice of God or devil?
- “During Sunday service testify about how God healed you.” – Voice of God or devil?
- “This week encourage everyone.” – Voice of God or devil?
- “Pray today.” – Voice of God or devil?
For each example I am confident your answer was God. So, you do hear and recognize The Voice of God. It’s that easy.
Just believe and respond to the voice. (John 10:27)
I encourage you to practice the small things. Understand the easy decisions in life and use the common sense provided by the Holy Spirit.
Then when you are faced with extreme decisions and choices you will know and recognize THE VOICE.
Let’s run our race with endurance… focusing on Jesus, THE CHAMPION of our faith run